Historic St. John’s Lutheran Church is located in beautiful New Baltimore, MI

A Church with a History

In 1863, during the stormy days of the Civil War, Lutheranism had its beginning in the New Baltimore area. Seven German families made up the original congregation of St. John’s Lutheran Church, holding worship services in the home of Fritz Turkow. Five years later the worshipers moved to an old chapel which was rented from the Baptists. In 1870 the Lutherans erected this structure on property given by Gilbert Hatheway in January of 1869. Services and religious instruction were offered in German until 1916 when English was introduced with one English service a month. German services were discontinued in 1934. St. John’s houses a Hinners mechanical action organ, which was acquired in 1905. Even though over a century has passed, valuing family and community remains the same.

Our Mission

“To answer God’s call by Caring, Sharing, Teaching and Loving as Jesus has loved us”

Our Worship Services

Here at St. John’s, we offer a relaxed environment for worship with a friendly atmosphere. All are welcome!

Our Service times are 8:00 AM and 10:15 AM on Sundays

(Sunday School offered at 10:15 AM Service September through May)

Our History