May 27, 2020
Dear St. John’s Family and Friends,
As you know it had been the Council’s hope to gather for service on June 7, 2020. Unfortunately, this cannot happen.
On May 15, 2020, Bishop Don Kreiss sent each of the South Eastern Michigan Synod churches two documents: the Synod’s twelve page “Safe Start Plan” and the CDC’s seven-page safety guidelines. These two documents are to be used by the churches to develop policies for when they once again gather in person for worship. On May 23, 2020, Bishop Kreiss sent another letter reinforcing his position. His letter stated in part, “…speaking as your bishop I cannot support a return at this time.”
On May 20, 2020 the Council charged the Worship and Music Committee to develop a plan to determine exactly what worship changes are needed for us to gather safely in accordance with the two documents from the Bishop. The Council further voted to not gather for worship before July 12, 2020. When we do meet again in our beautiful historic sanctuary, worship will look much different from when we last gathered. We will inform you what worship will look like before we gather once again in person.
We are very blessed to have so many members committed to do all that they can to keep you connected and informed. Here is a list of what is currently being brought to you:
• Monday Meditations with Pastor Roger
• Wednesday Member Connect with Minister Enoch and Debb Carlton
• Thursday morning Bible Study with Pastor Roger and Minister Enoch
• Saturday morning weekly emails sent by Margaret Larsen with the coming week’s information
• Saturday emails from Sunday School Director, Stephanie Lindsey and Confirmation leader, Charlene Barrett
• Sunday morning live stream worship led by Pastor Roger, Minister Enoch and Roger Bokano. Krista Teschler and Rebecca Rogers manage the technology needed to make this available.
• Sunday-weekly devotion emails from Minister Enoch
• Pastor Roger and Minister Enoch are regularly phoning our members to check in with them.
• Brenda snail mails information to our people without emails.
We would like to thank you for your patience, understanding and support during these unusual times. We prayerfully ask you to continue your financial support. Since we are not gathering in person at this time, we have put in place a new giving option. GivePlus Mobile is an App that allows you to contribute without mailing in a check. We know talking about finances can sometimes be a sensitive subject, but we want to be up front with you. Our Congregation has worked very hard to build a strong financial foundation. We do not want the impact of COVID-19 to slow the progress we have already made. If you have any questions about this new giving tool, GivePlus Mobile or Simply Giving, please contact Carol Olivares.
We ask that you continue to pray for the leaders of our church as they plan for the future. We want to thank everyone for their extraordinary efforts and support during these very unusual times.
We want you to know that we are here for you. If you have questions or needs please contact a Council member or the church office to help you.
St. John’s Council